Saturday, November 15, 2008

Grand Prix Atlanta - Day 1

So I'm brimming with confidence going into Day 1, after some relatively good play at the Trials the night before. The deck I had had tons of Red and Black removal, and some green creatures and Necrogenesis to make Jund pretty clear, but the only fixing in the entire pool was a Savage Lands and two Obelisk of Esper. The blue I threw out immediately, so I would have to do with Savage Lands, and a 6-6-4 manabase.

Round 1 I beat someone pretty handily. Round 2 I go to three, and keep a dreadful hand of 4 Red burn spells, some Green creature, and two Swamps. I'm on the play, but I really don't want to send it back because I think I flat out win the game if I draw one of 7 red sources. I don't draw a third land even and I get blown out.

From there, wheels came off, although I don't think I played incorrectly. Round 3 I get blown out because I can't get past 4 lands. Round 4 I play against someone I beat in the trials the night before, flood Game 1 after I clear the board, then get manascrewed Game 2. Round 5 I lose to a pretty weak player who tried as hard as he could to get me back into Game 1, which I probably just should have scooped because he got to 39, and then Game 2 I don't play spells again.

It's just so frustrating because I honestly can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I don't think I could be as aggressive mulliganing with this deck because my mana was so awful, but then should I keep hands like I kept in Round 2? I'll post the deck list eventually.

I'm not totally convinced that this just doesn't happen to better players. I watched Tomaharo Saito keep 4 red removal cards, a Jund Obelisk, a Cavern Thoctar or something, and a SWAMP, on the play, Game 3, and he rips land land and wins it. Like what the hell??? I'm not going to call shenanigans on that, but how do you keep that EVER?! Is that what it really takes?

More mana issues would arise in the draft I signed up for. I drafted a removal-heavy Grixis deck that played pretty well in Round 1, but then in Round 2 I don't draw land and don't draw spells and I lose. Normal land screw this time, but still unbelievable.

It's hard for me to put this one behind me because it's happened all season, and I honestly don't have any ideas how to get better, and I really don't want to just say that it's the format, because obviously some players are still winning more consistently than I am, and I'd like to think there is something I can do to become better.

I need to clear my head somehow for tomorrow's PTQ, start with a clean slate, and just play well. I thought I was playing well today, but I wish I could see an indication. UGHHHHHH why did I miss the one Constructed tournament in what seems like years last weekend?

No comments: