Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Who the heck came up with "Red Deck Wins" anyway?

So I'm going to commit to playing Red Deck Wins. I think it will be a solid call in a metagame where Five-Color Control and Faeries are the consensus best decks in the format, since I think I have an edge on Five-Color and am pretty solid against Faeries. Here's the 60 I'm going to run:

18 Mountain
4 Ghitu Encampment

4 Figure of Destiny
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Ashenmoor Gouger
3 Boggart Ram-Gang
3 Hell's Thunder
4 Stigma Lasher
4 Demigod of Revenge

4 Magma Spray
4 Incinerate
4 Flame Javelin

The sideboard will look something like this:
4 Pyroclasm
2 Wild Richochet
2 Chaotic Backlash (???)
4 Vexing Shusher
3 undecided... Everlasting Torment? Pithing Needle? Manabarbs?

I don't think Manabarbs is a good solution because I think I would only bring it in against Five-Color, and they can trump me with Runed Halo naming Manabarbs. Everlasting Torment and Pithing Needle solve Story Circle and Burrenton-Forge Tender, while Torment will also answer Runed Halo when a creature like Demigod of Revenge is named, and Needle can stop Planeswalkers and Tokens. Not sure, will try both a couple times in the coming week.

Kithkin is my worst matchup because of Spectral Procession and Cloudgoat Ranger. Pyroclasm probably helps, and I threw in Chaotic Backlash too, but I need Everlasting Torment/Needle too for Burrenton Forge-Tender, so I'll test this too, maybe I don't need Chaotic Backlash.

I'm actually really excited for States. Hooray 60-card decks!

No comments: