Sunday, November 16, 2008

Constructed for Christmas?

With limited almost over, it's time to get into Constructed! I want to try some new ideas in Standard and playtest it more just to be more familiar with the matchups, since I did a fair amount of testing, but nowhere close to the amount I did last Extended season. (This is of course for the Type 2 Power tournament before Christmas.) Having a full-time job sucks, especially the full-time part! But so does not knowing people well enough to call them up and saying "We are playtesting for 6 hours right now!" like I could back at school. For States I probably tested 15-20 hours at most, whereas for the first Extended PTQ I think I can say I playtested closer to 30, and then probably closer to 40 before the Grand Prix. Considering my current circumstances, I'll just have to deal with it I guess.

I also want to start goldfishing some Extended. Even if it doesn't get banned after Worlds, I really don't want to play Elves since I'd play the mirror for half the day at a PTQ. Tezzeret doesn't seem that fun either, but I could play that. I could play Faeries, but I really want to play something more proactive and fun. I've checked off All-In Red, Goblins, and Dredge as decks from the Top 16 of the Pro Tour I'd like to try, and also Zoo since I think you can tune it to beat Elves. Hopefully Elves really isn't actually so powerful that it's incorrect not to play it, since I haven't tested it, since what I really liked about the last Extended format was that you could just play one of many powerful decks, play it well and see results. But if there's an overwhelmingly powerful deck, I'd make myself play it.

Back in Seattle tomorrow!

No comments: