Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I am such a coward

Spent the past thirty minutes at work thinking about Zoo... I independently thought up that Bant Charm is better than Oblivion Ring in the mirror by a mile because it can't be Duergar Hedge-Maged.

Bored at work, I went to Brainburst hoping to see a tournament report by Alex but instead happened on a little guide to Zoo with some ideas that may be worth trying.

Here's what I want to try:

4 Wild Nacatl
4 Mogg Fanatic
4 Kird Ape
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Figure of Destiny

4 Tribal Flames
4 Lightning Helix
3 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Bant Charm
2 Flame Jab

4 Flooded Strand
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
1 Steam Vents
1 Temple Garden
1 Breeding Pool
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Stomping Ground
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Overgrown Tomb (I think you play this instead of Blood Crypt because it makes Bant Charm colors)
1 Plains
1 Forest

SB:
2 Proclamation of Rebirth (Probably better than Ranger, because you can bring it in against decks with board sweepers like Faeries, where you'd like to run out 3 one-drops but you know you will get wasted by Engineered Explosives.)
3 Duergar Hedge-Mage
4 Kataki, War's Wage (maybe three of this and one more Hedge-Mage...)
3 Stifle
3 Gaddock Teeg

I'm about to chicken out of playing GB Loam because I think Engineered Explosives will cost me an arm and a leg at the event site (neither of the main shops that sell singles in Seattle has them, and Star City doesn't have them either). It will be easier for me to borrow or buy Flooded Strands, too.

No live testing tonight, but maybe some MWS, so I'll be giving this a spin to see if I like it or not. One thing I am considering is the difference in metagame between Day 1 of the Grand Prix with three byes and a PTQ. Less Mono-Red burn starting 3-0?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry Dan. You'll play the one 3-0 player playing monored. And the one 3-1 player in round 5... Also, for fear of the hate starting against DC, I think I'm just blowing up the sideboard and starting anew, though both Zack and I are committed to the deck for our first PTQ (and hopefully only one for me).
Anyways, mucha buena suerte at the GP, destroy all of those death cloud decks to a pulp so that my deck won't be obsolete. : )

Anonymous said...

I think you should meta more for fairies--I like maindeck:
-Sculler
-Dark Confidant
-Seal of Fire (for tarmo)

better than maindeck ouphe. and finger of destiny doesn't seem to fit zoo that well. you shouldn't have a lot of extra mana laying around.

Daniel said...

So the reason I cut Sculler is that I'm cutting Black. I suppose I could try making a Stomping Ground a Blood Crypt and putting Sculler back in... Kitchen Finks in the main is kind of bleh, I'm not gonna lie.

I used Figure of Destiny as the 13th and 14th one-drop because I have 22 lands, so I will have that mana lying around, especially if I'm playing Faeries and I can just sit on this guy and make him a 4/4. It was actually quite good in testing last night.

I think the field will be too spread on Saturday to warrant targeting a deck. If I wanted to screw Faeries to the wall, I'd just play Green-Black.