Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Frustration in Drafting with Shards of Alara

(That title is for Google, because apparently a lot of people end up here trying to figure out how to draft Shards of Alara. Lol.)

Anyway, drafting this set has been pretty frustrating for me. I think I generally know how to draft it decently, know what cards are powerful and how certain archetypes are supposed to go. I'm still making tons of play mistakes, which is my own damn fault. But man, am I getting manascrewed a bunch! And so are my opponents! It is the least fun way to win at Magic, because no one likes not casting their spells, and I certainly can't assert that I played better than an opponent that did not cast their spells either.

My drafting strategy has been to take any first pickable cards, but otherwise take tri-lands and panoramas as they come around (even regardless of color). One draft I took 5 lands in the first pack because I really really wanted to fix my mana. Yet I still get mana-screwed a whole bunch. What the hell is going on?

The thing with Panoramas is that they are actually pretty bad when your two-drops are multi-colored. If I have a whole bunch of RG haste guys and Steward of Valerons, I really don't want to be playing 4-5 Panoramas, which is why I don't value those creatures as highly as others.

Also, which has been said by numerous writers, when figuring out mana sources, you shouldn't count, say, Naya Panorama as a White, Red, and Green source because it's never both: it's a white, red, OR green source. But then how do you figure out splashing? If I'm splashing, say, White in my RGB deck for say.... Oblivion Ring, Naya Charm, and Bull Ceradon (Naya Charm maybe a stretch, but the other two I think are acceptable splashes, tell me if I'm horribly wrong.) and I've got say... two Naya Panoramas, and let's say I'm equal parts Black, Red, and Green for the most part. Do I play one Plains because I've now got three ways to get White, or do I need to play 2 or more because I will probably be needing those Panoramas to get my main colors? Similarly, if I've got 3 or 4 Panoramas and I want to play three colors plus a splash, what are my options? Could go 1-4-4-4? 1-5-4-3? 2-3-4-4?

Maybe I value the Panoramas too highly, and there is an upper bound on the number you can play if you want to cast your early drops and your gold cards in the early game. Maybe I just need to be stricter with my colors when I draft and never "need" the Panoramas.

As for Constructed, I think I'm now leaning toward Five-Color Control, because I actually need a lot of cards for the Red Deck. But Red has favorable matchups against Five-Color and Faeries, so I'll keep thinking about it and still be ready to throw down some cash to build that deck. At first I thought Manabarbs would be really sick to play against Five-Color, but I'm afraid Runed Halo (which is coming from the Board anyway to fight Demigod) will make it very very bad, especially if they can Wrath and stabilize and actually put you on a clock. I also think I want to try Jund Charm in the Red Deck, because of the obvious instant-speed Pyroclasm, but also pumping your guys and dealing with Mannequin, Reveillark, Persist and Unearth guys.

I've been wanting to make some changes to the Five-Color list I've been playing. Bant Charm has been okay for me, but it seems Condemn is almost strictly better than it. The only artifact I think I care about is Loxodon Warhammer, but I can just kill creatures (which Condemn does), and paying 3 to counter a Cryptic Command (or worse, Negate) isn't terribly exciting. Esper Charm is fine as card draw and pretty good as discard, and it gives me an edge against Faeries. Jund Charm is surprisingly versitile, because it gives me another go with a Kitchen Finks, and it can stop Demigod recursions. That card is definitely staying in. I want to throw in Nucklavee (I guess just 1) and some mix of Remove Soul and Negate. Probably more Remove Soul because I want things to fight early aggro (Stigma Lasher really hurts me!) and maybe 1 or 2 Negates. I kind of just want to run Chris Woltereck's winning 5-Color deck, but it doesn't run Mannequin and I really like Mannequin, especially on Empyrial Archangel. Oh, and Resounding Thunder is HOT, definitely throwing 4 in the sideboard!

No comments: