Friday, October 17, 2008

Current thoughts on Standard

I've started playing a little more Magic Workstation this weekend, just trying to get a feel for the format and where my Bant deck stands. I played a couple of games against Five Color Control and I thought the deck was okay against it. If I get a T2 Finks or War Monk (preferably War Monk because he trumps their Finks), I can sit on my own counters as they try to deal with it. Treetops in the mid to late game are great too because they are Wrath resistant. I just have to avoid getting Cruel Ultimatum'd because I cannot recover from that huge card disadvantage because they're bound to find an answer to my Treetop Villages.

I played a couple games against Kithkin. The deck has huge problems against the swarm, and the worst card for me is Spectral Procession. The other day I ran a 10-game set of this matchup in solo mode plus a paper deck in front of my computer and it was 7-3 in favor of the White deck. Stillmoon Cavalier is a beating for my deck that I cannot deal with besides Colossus, and Stoic Angel was okay sometimes.. Stillmoon can still jump in front of her. The matches were dreadful enough that I almost want to dump the deck.

The more I look at the Five-Color list that I'm running, the more I want to run it. I also like the idea of a Doran update with Tidehollow Scullers and Thoughtseizes in the main, and with some other splash, probably Blue. I could just run Kithkin, since I'd prefer playing 8 rounds with a beatdown deck than a thinking deck, but I don't know how much tuning that deck can do to beat Five-Color. Maybe I'll try Marsh Usary's Chatoic Backlash list.

No comments: