Sunday, October 12, 2008

PTQ

I went 1-4 in the PTQ. I think the deck I registered was wrong as I was between two different decks. I won the first, lost the second to Ryan Fuller, lost the next one to Jon Loucks who I rode up with, threw away the next, then got blown out the last and I decided that enough was enough. I did a sanctioned side draft and 1-1'd with a pretty bad deck then won a 3v3 with a pretty good deck. I'll write about the sealed deck tomorrow probably.

I went and drafted at Games and Gizmos today and went 3-2. I started 3-0 and beat Gurney on a mana screw Game 1, then absolutely punted two straight games in the next round after casting my bombs but being a coward/dumbass. Round 5 I lost because my deck was short on removal and couldn't deal with Scavenger Drake soon enough. Pretty disastrous weekend.

I'll still PTQ this weekend and I'll still draft this week, but I'm starting to look toward Standard for States. I'm proxying up the gauntlet (I think it's Kithkin, Five Color Control, Faeries, and maybe BG, but I'd be thrilled running a deck that has game against those first 3.) I played my Bant deck against another homebrew, and I'm not sure if people watching thought my deck was casual, but I like how it plays and I'm excited to throw it against the format. Time to wear out my Sharpie and commons.

3 comments:

Matt said...

what was the other deck type you were debating about? in this format you should probably look at the gold cards first to see which shard is most doable i think.

Daniel said...

I played BRG featuring the indestructible Behemoth guy, Jund Charm, Drumhunter, and some other stuff that was really really light on 2 and 3 drops, and as a result most of the games I lost were against aggressive decks that did things on those turns.

I was considering WUB with Tower Gargoyle and Scourglass and an actual mana curve, but I didn't think those cards were bomby enough to get me there. Oops.

Unknown said...

This is Mike G.

Thanks for not telling everyone that I tried to use the spell Cancel to stop you from returning a guy with unearth. I feel like such a newb.

I was so gonna win that game too.

Can't believe you went on to punt the next two after beating me. I should smack you.