Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Magic-League has received a notice from Wizards of the Coast's legal team to cease and desist using copyrighted material on their website and to stop promoting Magic Workstation and Apprentice.

Parts that confuse me:

- the name "Magic-League" infringes upon copyrights? No idea where that's coming from, and I'm sure they could fight that point if they wanted to.

- Stop distributing Magic Workstation? I believe it's marketed as a tool for playing ANY trading card game, doubt they can stop that. Good thing you can add new cards just by copying the spoiler file into Workstation. Take that, Wizards Legal.

- Here's a great clip: "... your bad faith intent to capitalize on the good will associated with Wizards’ MAGIC: THE GATHERING® trademark, and pass your site off as authorized or associated with Wizards’ MAGIC: THE GATHERING® game"

CLEARLY spoken from a lawyer's rear side. So by letting people play Magic, Magic-League is harming the intentions of Wizards to... play Magic?

It's very obvious that the people at Wizards who make and love Magic would not stand for this, and they probably cannot comment on issues like this (just as I shouldn't comment on a certain Twitter tag that starts with an "#a" and ends in "mazonfail"). Hopefully the Magic-League guys figure out a way to appease these suits.

In other news, I also got a cease-and-desist order to stop writing on Magic cards with a Sharpie. If I want to play a game of Magic with Reflecting Pools and Bitterblossoms, I'd better start cracking my packs. I'm harming the goodwill of the game trying to tap all your guys and draw a card with a Sphinx's Herald.

No comments: