Sunday, April 12, 2009

GPT Seattle, try 1

So I ran Kithkin at the GPT today at First Pick, more or less as a testing session, since A) I had an unoptimal sideboard with only 1 Elspeth, and 2) I hadn't tested and have no idea what to board in and out.

So here's my deck

1 Mutavault
4 Windbrisk Heights
4 Rugged Prairie
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Rustic Clachan
10 Plains

4 Figure of Destiny
4 Goldmeadow Stalwart
4 Wizened Cenn
4 Knight of Meadowgrain
4 Cloudgoat Ranger

4 Path to Exile
4 Spectral Procession
3 Glorious Anthem
4 Ajani Vengeant

Sideboard:
4 Reveillark
4 Burrenton Forge-Tender
2 Ranger of Eos
2 Martial Coup
2 Banefire
1 Elsepth, Knight-Errant

This GPT was like a small PTQ: 46 people, 6 rounder.

Round 1 vs. Swans
Game 1 I blow him out. Game 2 I leave a kill on the board because I was afraid of Terror but of course Swans doesn't play Terror. Game 3 I blow him out.
1-0

Round 2 vs. Alex West playing Red Deck
He mulligans to five both games. Not much.
2-0

Round 3 vs. Bill Stark playing Sanity Grinding
Game 1 he's on the play and has answers for everything and it's essentially a blowout. Game 2 I'm lucky enough for him to not see any board control cards. Game 3 I mull to 5 and keep 2 Rugged Prairies as my lands. Luckily I get a Plains, but he's already Boomeranged my first land drop.

Max McCall pointed out that on a clash I opted to keep Elspeth on my deck when I couldn't cast it and didn't really want Elspeth in the game, and then on another clash the next turn I opted to send Path to Exile to the bottom because, well, I wanted land to cast Elspeth. I proceeded to get blown out by Plumeveil. At least I got the testing I wanted out of this tournament :/
2-1

Round 4 vs. Chris Kelly playing Sligh
I didn't get very good draws either of the games we played and he blows me out of the water. I think Game 1 I made a bad play that made me lose a Knight of Meadowgrain unnecessarily. Game 2 he plays infinite Terrors on my guys and I flood for a while looking for Burrenton Forge-Tender and he has Deathmark too. Gross... I really don't think this is a bad matchup for me either. He wants to play Goblin Outlander but he also needs to play Volcanic Fallout, so Goblin Outlander on the board = time to overextended a little more, and no Goblin Outlander means Knight of Meadowgrain's going to town.
2-2 DROP

I think the deck's fine, but I'll definitely be trying to get some serious testing in, because I really don't understand what cards are bad and even what cards are good in each matchup.

Bryan, a good Magic playing friend from summer '07, came back to Magic yesterday, and T2'd today. Good for him, except the deck he was playing in the finalwas, well, something you wouldn't expect and something I wouldn't recommend without some tuning.

At least I'll gain a few points from this...

No comments: