Sunday, April 19, 2009

GPT Seattle - Redmond damage report

I ran Kithkin again, change the sideboard to be a little more reasonable, but didn't do much better.

Round 1 I played Martin playing Five-Color. I take Game 1, and Game 2 I make some bad plays when I didn't leave back Spirits instead of Kithkin tokens (because I was using playing card flipped face up/down), and Game 3 I get stuck on three lands with Elspeth and Ajani in hand.

Round 2 was super awkward. My opponent starts with a deck registration error, so gets a game loss. He sits down, shuffles a couple of times in 15 seconds and presents. When I'm done piling my deck, I pile shuffle his deck (as I do for any Competitive level event) and he's a card short since one got stuck in his library. The judge was writing up his first game loss and understands that this is the most awkward thing ever, and my opponent flips his shit, which was uncharacteristic since he seemed relatively even keel, but maybe not so much on a competitive level.

I won't get into the details of things he said, but he was very much on tilt and had to go take a walk before coming back and playing out the rest of the tournament.

Round 3 I played a GW beats deck. Game 1 I'm on the play and keep as my 6 Stalwart, Stalwart, two drops, a Spectral, and a Windbrisk Heights. It was pretty risky, but I figure after playing my tap land, I'd have plays on turn 2 and 3, giving me three draws to get another land (which is favorable) and still be competitive (may or may not be reasonable). Well, I didn't get there :/ Game 2 I end up getting beats on but he plays a bunch of dudes and my second Banefire doesn't come (had to use one to kill a Stillmoon Cavalier.)

Round 4 I rock the bye, which is great because my tiebreakers were pretty good among the 1-2's. Unfortunately, Martin loses his match and I enter the next round having bad tiebreakers.

Round 5 I play Travis playing Shamans. I start the first game:
T1, Goldmeadow Stalwart, revealing Wizened Cenn.
T2, Goldmeadow Stalwart, revealing Goldmeadow Stalwart; Goldmeadow Stalwart revealing Wizened Cenn.
T3 Wizened Cenn.

Elvish Visionary didn't get there :/

Game 2 he gets multiple Wolf-Skull Shamans and gets a bunch of dudes, and I run out a bunch of guys as well and an Elspeth, but get stuck on 4 with Cloudgoat Ranger sitting in my hand. He ends up with tons of tokens and guys and I'm mucking up the board with tokens. He has Leaf-Crowned Elder in play, checks his Wolf-Skull Shaman kinship first, revealing Rage Forger, then gets to play Rage Forger on approximately a thousand Shamans he has, and I can't come back.

Game 3 I blow him out.

The other X-2 match goes to time at the deciding game and the player with the highest tiebreakers is able to get his opponent to scoop (which I have my own opinions on how that went down), so I get sorried at 9th place.

Since I had my work laptop in my backpack from going from work to someone's place to crash, I decide to try my hand at this match coverage thing. It was pretty fun, and it's something I can stand to get better at too. I'll edit those and post them tomorrow. Long story short, two Five-Color Control decks fought in the final and one of them won while the rest of us lost for enduring it.

No comments: