Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A MODO update/self-assessment

So last week I won 12 packs for T4'ing a Daily Sealed, plus I opened an Elspeth and some other things, so I had plenty of tickets to boot. I started drafting them last Saturday when I got home from Vancouver, in the 1710's. My results, all in 8-4 drafts, were 1-1, 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 2-1, and I'm up to about 1730 I believe off the top of my head.

I feel like in this stretch I was getting kind of lucky and my opponents were getting rather unlucky, and that some of my decks aren't really stellar... but things like this haven't happened for me as far as I can remember: I always manage to find ways to give games away or make terrible mistakes, a few years ago when I was begging to hold ground above 1600. Maybe (gasp) I am actually getting better at Magic. Conflux events are starting this week, and I won't have an Extended tournament for three weeks after Standard for a Mox, so I'd like to dive into Limited and start picking my game apart again.

This week, however, I'm focusing on Standard and doing lots of side-by-side testing with myself (working blows) to get a grasp of the decks I want to play. I'm leaning toward RW Cruise, but that deck seems really popular, so then it might be Blightning Beatdown (which from testing for States, I don't think can beat Kithkin), Kithkin (which from testing for States, I don't think can beat Five-Color), or Five-Color (which I don't know much more about). If I do play Cruise, I want to make sure I can play the mirror match properly and have the cards necessary to be successful in the matchup, while not giving up a whole lot against Faeries... I think the Faeries matchup is very very close.

No comments: