Monday, September 29, 2008

First Constructed ideas

So at work, instead of doing work, I was thinking about Standard decks. I wanted to play a deck withmain deck Gaddock Teeg because Cryptic Command is probably the best card in the format, Manneqin is played a lot too, and people are talking about playing things like Cruel Ultimatum.

I then wanted to dip into blue to play Rafiq of the Many and Bant Charm. While Rafiq is probably best as a 2 of since it dies to a lot of things and is best when your opponent taps out and you can play him down and swing for 10 with a Chameleon Colossus or 8 with a Treetop Village on an idle board, say post-Wrath. I initially made it really aggro with Llanowar Elves, Steward of Valeron, and Wren's Run Vanquisher.

I then decided that I'd rather play Cryptic Command than spear it because it's the best card in Standard, and already have an answer to it in Bant Charm. Then I wanted to play Birds of Paradise to shore up my mana. I didn't have a lot of Elves then, so I took out Wren's Run. I took out Cloudthresher because I had thrown in Mulldrifter and had Birds now too. Then I wanted to add more blue so I wasn't only playing 6 blue cards, so I added more blue and made it more of an Aggro-Control deck with Rhox War Monk at my 3, and a couple Broken Ambitions.

I goldfished for a little bit, decided that casting Cryptic Command was really hard, but I wanted to stay Aggro Control, so I made Broken Ambitions a 4-of and cut 2 Cryptic Commands. Here's the draft for this deck now:

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Rhox War Monk
4 Chameleon Colossus
2 Rafiq of the Many
4 Mulldrifter

2 Cryptic Command
4 Oblivion Ring
4 Bant Charm
4 Broken Ambitions

3 Forest
3 Island
2 Plains
2 Seaside Citadel
4 Yavimaya Coast
1 Brushland
1 Adarkar Wastes
2 Flooded Grove
1 Wooded Bastion
1 Mystic Gate
4 Treetop Village

Now I think I'm best at Constructed because I can easily practice it, and even tune decks by myself by opening up two instances of Apprentice or playing the paper cards in front of my Apprentice screen. But I'm not that great at building my own decks for a new format... in fact I've never played in a tournament like States where the format is really wide open. My idea of the gauntlet will definitely look something like:

5-color Control (I think there are two variations, didn't play block so I'll have to do some homework on this)
Faeries and weird variations (aka Faeries with Doran)
Some Doran deck
Some Merfolk deck (probably with Chameleon Colossus)
Kithkin
Some Red/Green deck

I'll keep looking over the spoiler for ideas, but I'll mostly be looking at Block decks and adding and considering the 10th cards, like Wrath of God, Terror, Condemn, Treetop Village, and Loxodon Warhammer. I'll probably test this a little bit on MWS or throw the deck to my friends have them give it a spin, and if it's good I'll buy the cards at play it at some Standard events.

No comments: