Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thinking, thinking, thinking - the beginning of GP Seattle prep...

In my estimation, here are the relevant decks in Standard:

BW Tokens
Five-Color Control
Kithkin
RW Cruise
Faeries
Esperlark
Bant strategies
Blightning (I think this deck's pretty bad right now, it only beats Faeries and Five-Color, and mostly old Five-Color lists at that)

Reveillark seems to be an extremely important card in this metagame. It's so hard to deal with that you either run it yourself, or you don't care about it. Generating lots of creatures also seems good, with Spectral Procession and Bitterblossom being awesome cards, which in turn makes Glorious Anthem another really important card for decks that go this route.

I think the beginning of this month I'll be running Kithkin. I know it's a favorite against Cruise, Faeries, and Red decks. It's certainly fast enough that it doesn't really care about Reveillark by the time it comes online. I also get to play Glorious Anthem and Spectral Procession, as well as other hits like Cloudgoat Ranger. The only deck I'm really worried about from the major decks is Five-Color Control, and at least there are tools to beat it. I'm also not sure how good I'd be against a T2 Rhox War Monk or Troll Ascetic.

The field seems like it will be fairly spread out, so tuning for the mirror past some sideboard cards seems unnecessary at this point. Stillmoon Cavalier seems like it'd be really good, but why isn't it in every Kithkin board?

Anyway, some initial thoughts I need to get down.

No comments: